To update an existing list with additional fields (such as first name), you need to update the database and import the CSV file with the data.
This also overwrites all fields with the newly imported information.
Follow these steps to update a list:
- Go to Contacts > Export.
- Select the list you'd like to export.
- Select the relevant options and fields.
- Select Export to file to download the data as a CSV file to your computer.
- Click Export data in the top-right corner.
- Open the file you've downloaded.
- Add the new field and save the CSV.
- Go to Contacts > New import.
- Upload the CSV file.
- Follow the steps provided.
- In the Lists and options step, under Import options, select ‘Update duplicate contacts’.
- Click Continue.
- Confirm the data and click Start import.
This will import new information and update any fields that you've assigned to a contact. In other words, if a field in the CSV is blank and you import it, the blank field overwrites the data that was originally assigned to the contact.
Working on the list exported from the system is a good way to add extra fields, without affecting the existing data.